Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Apple Berry Pie

For Thanksgiving I decided I'd attempt a homemade pie for the first time. I assumed it'd be easier than it looked... I WAS WRONG.
It is harder than looks, much much much harder. It is inconcievably hard, ridiculously hard, so hard diamonds look soft. (Diamonds are incredibly hard in case you didn't know.)

First you make the dough, (easy enough) leave it in the fridge for 15-30 minutes because it molds easier if cold and then take it out and proceed to roll. Now the tricky thing with rolling dough is you don't want to end up sprinkling to much flour, apparently it makes bad things happen, and lets face it that stuff is sticky so your CONSTANTLY sprinkling flour. To avoid this I read a suggestion to put the ball of dough on a cookie sheet, and then roll. Three hours later (not exagerating)I was covered in flour and dough, not to mention my hands had permanently assumed what I like to call the "roll position". My dough was cracking and breaking and sticking.

Pretty much everything you DON'T want it to do.

However, I was not yet ready to admit defeat. I reread the recipe and realized the suggestion was to put the dough BETWEEN TWO cookie sheets and then roll, occasionally pulling up the sheet to unstick.
Ya tried it, guess how long it took...15 MINUTES. That's it.
But I wasn't even mad, just incredibly happy that I had finally rolled out the damn dough. I imagine during my celabratory victory dance I looked something like this.

For the filling I just combined apples, strawberries, blackberries and sugar then filled the pie, dotted with butter and topped with the crust and some decorative crust-cut leaf things.

And after I took my masterpiece out of the oven.

Oh yeah.

Bon Appétit




Recipe Links
Pie Crust

1 comment: